Monday 22 February 2010

'The Wolfman' - Movie Review

'The Wolfman' review.

Being so terribly old, and also mildly addicted to old-skool horror movies, and indeed there sometimes less than awesome remakes, I have been chomping at the bit to see this ever since I knew it was being made. I must also add at this point that my 10yr old daughter is heartbroken that she can't watch this, as they (rightly) gave it a 15 rating, as there is plenty of blood and guts being chucked around. Anyway, I digress...full review time...

The Wolfman - (3.5 stars out of 5)

Despite being resoundingly panned by critics, I found this to be entertaining, old-skool horror material. A revisiting of the original Wolfman movie that started a whole new age of horror classics, this does exactly what it says on the tin. The A-list cast were, I thought, actually very good. Surely no-one was expecting award-winning performances from anyone involved, but still, Hopkins, Del Toro, Blunt and Weaving all clearly enjoyed getting the chance to overact wonderfully. Nothing more than sheer horror escapism, this has more than a little of the Francis Ford Coppola-made "Bram Stokers Dracula" about it, even the score and cinematography were extremely similar. This is gory, messy fun, without going over the top. Although I can understand why it hasnt been hugely well-received, I am at a bit of loss as to why viewers and critics alike cant set aside expectations and just enjoy what was for me, 2 hours of Werewolf-limb-rending fun. Of course, modern CGI techniques make movies like this all the more possible these days, but still, I thought this was great, and isnt trying to pretend to reinvent Werewolf movies, or anything of the sort. Dont expect a new-take on anything, simply enjoy a trip back in time to how horror/monster movies used to be.

The Wolfman

No comments:

Post a Comment