Saturday 16 October 2010

'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps' - Movie Review




















Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2.5 out of 5 stars)

OK, first things first, I haven't see the first film, but I don't honestly know how much of a difference that should make, seeing as it's been a whole 23 years since Michael Douglas starred in the original film that won him an oscar. Perhaps I should watch it, because I'm pretty certain that it'll be better than this 'sequel'.
OK, second things second (if that's a real phrase), this isn't usually my sort of movie. This was proven to be the case yet again. That of course doesn't mean that it won't be other people's sort of movie, it's just not mine.
I'll be honest, the first 30 minutes of the movie left me fairly baffled, I don't claim to understand or even find interesting the world that stock-brokers or the other ridiculously overpaid financial brains inhabit, even though the movie did a pretty good job of explaining what it must have been like to be on the inside of the near-global-meltdown of the world's financial systems in 2008.
The trouble I found with this movie, for all its lovely camera-work and interesting graphics that punctuate the movie at regular intervals, is that I didn't really engage with any of the characters. They live in a different world, and I didn't feel any connection that Joe Bloggs on the street will be able to relate to.
All in all, I just didn't find anything about the movie exciting, or even captivating or interesting. Not my cup of tea at all, but don't let me put you off, it will appeal to tons of people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment